St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on December 27th, 1925, at the home of George Appel. Until 1937, St. John’s was served by ministers from Ebenezer Lutheran Church in Greensboro.
In the Fall of 1937, Rev. Richard P. Meibohm became the first resident pastor. On February 11, 1941, a new church was dedicated at 2000 Queen Street.
In October 1949, Rev. Martin W. Rupprecht accepted the Call to be the minister at St. John’s. On May 20, 1951, and educational wing was dedicated.
In May of 1956, Rev. W. Steyer was Called to St. John’s. A new church and four classrooms at 2415 Silas Creek Parkway were dedicated on August 30, 1959.
In 1962, Rev. Walter V. Roe, Jr. became the fourth pastor of St. John’s. In 1970, two new classrooms were added to the school. Then, in 1973, two more classrooms were added and the school expanded to 6th grade.
Rev. Lester A. Wolf accepted our call and was installed on November 11, 1973. Our daycare program was started in 1979.
In May 1983, Rev. Stephen D. Sigmon became the sixth pastor of St. John’s. An office complex was added and the school expanded to 8th grade.
In March of 1989, our seventh pastor, Rev. Philip C. McLain was installed. In 1992, a new computer classroom was added and in 1995 four new classrooms were constructed. In 1999, St. John’s called their first associate pastor, Rev. Kevin L. Armbrust.
In February 2005, Rev. Armbrust became St. John’s senior pastor. In the same year, the Family Life Center/gym, a new kitchen, a music room, and general renovations were completed.
Rev. James O. Murr became our ninth pastor and was installed on October 4, 2009. Today, Rev. Murr leads the staff and members of St. John’s Church and School as we seek to share God’s Word with the people of Winston-Salem in hope of helping one more person get to Heaven by pointing them to Jesus Christ.